Friday, February 13, 2015

I can't help myself, I just gotta say it!

Today the power of our words is just heavy on my heart. 

Seriously, our words to each other - and EVEN TO OURSELVES - can be so live-giving, or very much life-taking.  Scripture says it like this. Proverbs 18:21,  “The tongue has the power of life and death.”   and Ephesians 4:29 says, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”  

I am not suggesting that you will actually make someone take their own life with your words - but consider this...  How many times have people killed your dreams - your vision, your excitement with a negative word?  I know for me, it is too many to count.  

Our words are powerful.  Especially the way we talk to ourselves in our own mind.  Or out loud.  That’s me... I talk to myself out loud.  I drop something and it breaks, and my first thought or spoken word is, “way to go clutz”... Or, “ugh, slow down stupid...” Yikes.  I am not very kind to myself. 

I want that to change.  I want that to change for you too!  I want to issue a challenge - this next month and a half... All of March (and the remainder of February) - try to ONLY say kind things to other people (and yourself!)  I am not suggesting that you don’t share truth with someone if they need to hear it and it is difficult.  But, what I am saying... Drop your judgment.  Drop your negativity.  Drop your right to be right.  And just be KIND.  Speak kindly.  Speak with words full of grace and compassion.  BE NICE.

Give yourself a break.  When you mess something up, just say, “Oh well. No biggie.”  Let yourself get out of bed late and skip the first 15 minutes of school to take your kids to donuts.  Leave the house without make-up and tell yourself over and over that you look STUNNING!  Forget needing to do the dishes, lose weight, pick up the dry-cleaning.  Take a day to just stop and enjoy the beautiful sun... the birds chirping, and the laughter that can be had when you quit taking everything so damn seriously.  (Sorry, I got a little out of hand... But really...)

Extend that same break to other people.  Let them be 15 minutes late to a meeting with you.  Tip your waiter extra even when they give you crappy service.  Let a friend come over - all frazzled and just offer a warm smile and a lot of grace.  

God knows we could all use a little more kindness and a whole lot more grace!


Go forth and spread JOY my friends.  We have much to be thankful for if we just look for it.  Let people be thankful that they ran into you today.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment